Yes, you heard me right. GLUTEN FREE homemade white cheddar mac and cheese!! I’ll give you a moment because I’m sure your mind is blown!
I’m fairly certain that next to peanut butter and jelly, macaroni and cheese was one of the first things that I learned to “cook” growing up. You boiled the water, added some butter, a little milk, and that bright yellow cheese powder… yeah, good times. I think what most people don’t know is just how simple making mac and cheese from scratch can be. It’s almost as easy as the box method and literally takes about the same time. Seriously, this is a quick dish!
I am very passionate about eating healthy and getting others to do the same, but that doesn’t mean you can’t indulge every once in a while. In moderation, a little cheese and milk aren’t that bad for you. Unhealthy is that bright blue box filled with fluorescent yellow, it’s full of processed ingredients and things that aren’t so good for you….. powdered cheese?! Need I say more…?
You are going to LOVE this! It’s quick, it’s delicious, it’s comforting, it’s everything you want and it’s easy to make on a weeknight. Look at how few and very familiar ingredients there are:
Servings: This recipe yields two servings
1/2 bag (approx 8oz.) of Gluten Free Organic Brown Rice Pasta
1 Cup of Organic milk
1/2 Cups of white cheddar cheese
1 Garlic clove
2 Tbsp Organic Butter
2 Tbsp Gluten Free All purpose flour
- Fill a medium sauce pan with water and let it come to a boil while you begin to prep the cheese sauce.
- Finely mince garlic and shallots.
- In another medium sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat and add garlic and shallots. Cook for 5-7 minutes until completely tender and the color has changed to slightly translucent.
- Add gluten free flour and stir until a dough forms. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add gluten free pasta to boiling water and cook until pasta is tender.
- Add milk and cook for 3-4 minutes more until the sauce has thickened. Season with nutmeg and cayenne to taste.
- Add cheese and stir to incorporate.
- Drain pasta and add it to your cheese sauce. Stir and enjoy.